There is more to fishing than just grabbing a fishing pole and heading to the nearest body of water. First and foremost you need to acquire your fishing license. After that task is complete, you can start assembling your fishing gear.
If you are sitting there scratching your head and wondering what fishing gear is than you definitely need to keep reading this article. Fishing will become a lot more fun when you have the right equipment. This might require you to open up your wallet and part with some money, all in all your fishing gear shouldn’t cost more than a hundred dollars, which is a small price to pay when you think of the bigger picture.
Selecting the rod and reel are the first steps to assembling your fishing gear. Some rods are sold whole, while others you will have to assemble. If you are panicking about that prospect, don’t fret. All it takes is merely screwing the pieces of the rod together. Once the rod is assembled correctly with the guides perfectly matched up, you need to get a feel for your rod. Hold it, bend it, and make sure that the size and weight is something that you are comfortable with.
Now you will need some fishing line to go with your rod and reel. There are so many choices when it comes to fishing lines. You can’t go wrong choosing a four pound line, if you are still unsure, just make sure that it is 10 feet long and it will fit a basic rig.
Selecting the right lures and bait becomes a little tricky. The first thing a new angler should do is consider what species of fish he or she is most likely seeking. Once you have determined that, it is time to do a little research using books, forums and articles, gathering as much information as possible. Otherwise you will spend a lot of money on fishing gear that you don’t really need and probably will never use.
Tips to a successful fishing trip
Fishing with bait
- The most popular bait to use is worms, although some fishermen prefer to use chicken or liver. Just make sure that your bait is cold this prevents it from sliding off the hook.
- Next you need to obtain a weight. Try using a bait sinker or a number two hook if you are just starting out.
- Using a swivel prevents the sinker from sliding. For example you could put a bead between the weight and the swivel to protect your knot.
- Where to find fishing bait
- You can buy your bait or catch your bait for free. The advantage of buying it is that you have all that you need, but the disadvantage is you could get stuck paying a hefty price for it.
- Earthworms are strongly recommended to use as bait, it almost guarantees a catch.
There are three basic methods of fishing. First is drift fishing, where you allow your line to drift in the current. This can be done for upstream or downstream fishing. Second is plunking, this is where you use a weight to keep the bait in place after casting. Lastly is back bouncing where you lift the rod up one or two feet and then let the lure settle back down while reeling your line in slightly keeping it taut.
As you can see, there is a lot of time and effort put into fishing. It is not just grabbing any old rod and going to the lake. If you do your research and follow these helpful hints, then your first fishing trip is guaranteed to be a success.
Find More Related Fishing Tips At Fishing Tips